Health and safety is an integral component in delivering a quality service to the public by ensuring that we manage risk in order to protect the health, safety and welfare at work of all our employees and any other persons who may be affected by our operations.
In confirming this commitment the aims of the Authority’s Health and Safety Policy are to:
- Provide visible leadership by senior management through demonstration of the behaviour and culture that the Authority requires of all employees and those who work with us.
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation, Authority Policy, Procedures and Mayoral Strategies.
- Clearly define the responsibilities and duties of all employees.
Engage the co-operation of employees at all levels through open communication and consultation and the promotion of health and safety awareness.
- Ensure safe systems of work are in place to minimise risk of injury and ill health, so far as is reasonably practicable.
- Provide and maintain safe working conditions, plant and equipment.
Ensure safe handling, use, transportation and storage of substances.
- Provide training and resources to ensure that all employees have and demonstrate the required skills, knowledge and understanding to carry out their work safely.
- Ensure continuous improvement of the health and safety management system.